country: new zealand
quality: lossless (flac, cue, log, scans)
time: 46'08" size: 231 mb
Dreams Fantasies & Nightmares:
This Auckland group evolved in 1965 out of a band called The Adventurers. The change came when Glyn Conway left The Embers, one of Auckland's top early sixties groups to join The Adventurers.
The Gremlins debut 45 sold poorly, but after a switch to Gary Daverne's Viscount label they enjoyed a big hit with The Coming Generation. Paddy McAneney left soon after, bassist Ces Good joined and Ben Grubb switched to organ. You Gotta Believe It gave them another Top 20 hit, but after this Peter Davies departed. He was replaced by Daron Curtiss, previously with Gisborne's Crying Shame, an obscure heavy rock trio.
An underrated group The Gremlins were responsible for a series of competent power pop singles they mostly penned themselves. Two of these, Glyn Conway's Never You Mind and Ces Good's Listen To Me can also be heard on Wild Things, Vol. 2, Blast Off 1970, a great pop-psych 'A' side from 1967, which featured some catchy organ moments, guitar and sound effects, has resurfaced on the No. 8 Live Wire compilation.
They broke up in 1968. Conway was later in a pub rock band called Copperfield.
Only Glen Conway (or Glyn Tucker Jnr as he's now known) has remained active full-time in the music industry. He's become a successful producer, responsible for acts such as The Crocodiles, Citizen Band, Flight X7, Satellite LL Spies. Peter Davies continued as a part-time musician in several Auckland area bands while forging a career as a design engineer. Roger Wiles runs a courier business in Auckland, but drums part-time in various bands, Ces Good moved to the U.S.A. and Daron Curtiss works in advertising.
1. The Coming Generation (Tucker/Mantz/Jones) 2:35
2. Blast Off 1970 (Tucker) 2:36
3. I Can't Say (Tucker) 1:54
4. Never You Mind (Tucker) 2:18
5. A Man's Gotta Be a Man (Folchow, Robert) 2:11
6. Don't Just Stand There (Tucker) 2:45
7. Ain't That Loving You Baby (Leiber/Stoller) 2:39
8. Ballad of a Busker (Tucker) 2:19
9. But She's Gone (Tucker) 2:29
10. It's Easy to Say (Tucker) 2:00
11. You Gotta Believe It (Tucker) 2:03
12. Kinsforth Hemmingseen (Curtiss/Tucker) 3:11
13. Sunday Breeze (Tucker) 1:54
14. Understand Our Age (Tucker) 2:34
15. The Only Thing on My Mind (Tucker) 2:10
16. I Want Your Love (Tucker) 2:40
17. Listen to Me (Good, Ces) 2:24
18. Don't Ya (Tucker) 1:40
19. That's What I Want (Carter/Lewis) 2:14
20. Oh My Word (Cook/Greenaway) 1:50
21. The Great Drain Robbery, No. 1 (Gremlins) 0:46
22. The Great Drain Robbery, No. 2 (Gremlins) 0:45